What happens if an association is declared unlawful?

Last updated on Jun 15, 2022

Prohibiting funds:

If a person has any funds (cash or other resources) which are used for an unlawful association, the Government can pass a written order prohibiting the person from paying, delivering, transferring or dealing with them in any way. However, the Government allows such monetary dealings if they are done according to the conditions given in the  written order1.


Notifying places used for unlawful associations:

The Central Government can notify any place (house, building, boat etc.) that it thinks is used for an unlawful association, in the official Gazette. The District Magistrate can then:

  • Order that non-residents of the place cannot enter or be in it without the Magistrate’s permission.  If any person violates this, the Government can remove them from that place2.
  • Make a list of moveable objects found in the place (not including trivial things like beds, vessels, etc.) in the presence of two respectable witnesses. If the Magistrate thinks that such objects are for an unlawful association (such as account books of an unlawful association), they can prohibit any person from using the objects. The person can then use them only according to the Magistrate’s written orders.
  1.  Section 7, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.[]
  2. Section 8, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.[]

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Guide for Survivors of Sexual Harassment at the Workplace

This guide by Nyaaya and Ungender helps those who have faced sexual harassment at the workplace to navigate the legal process in such situations.

Where can contempt of court happen?

Contempt of court can happen anywhere - inside court, outside court, on social media. etc. Further, contempt proceedings can be taken up by either the Supreme Court, High Court, or Tribunals. However, the procedure to initiate proceedings will differ based on the place where the alleged contempt happens.

Army Control of a Disturbed Area

When it appears to the government that a dangerous situation has developed in a certain area of the country and it requires the armed forces to take control of that area, such an area is declared as a disturbed area. The AFSPA applies in such disturbed areas.

Children Legally Free for Adoption

Declaring a child legally free for adoption allows such children to be put up for adoption under the non-religious law.

Process Of Registration of Inter-Religious Marriage Under The Act

The registration process for a Special Marriage involves giving notice to the Marriage Officer, signing a declaration, etc.

Where can Domestic Violence Happen?

An act of domestic violence can happen anywhere. It need not always be confined to the house you are living in.
Crimes and Violence