Both you and your spouse can end the marriage and divorce each other if you both do not want to continue in the marriage and end all marital obligations.
What is essential in this form of divorce is that both you and your spouse should consent to ending the marriage. This form of divorce is known as Mubara’at.
The word ‘mubara’at’ means ‘freeing one another mutually’. Mutual divorce takes place in the form of ‘Mubara’at’ when:
- Both husband and wife consent to ending the marriage
- You (husband) have to say ‘talaq’ once
- This form of talaq cannot be revoked.
This form of divorce happens after coming to a mutual decision to end the marriage.
If you and your spouse decide to end the marriage, this means that certain duties have to be followed such as:
- Your wife has to follow the period of iddat after the divorce.
- Both your wife and children can get maintenance during this period.
If you did divorce your wife using this method, then you cannot remarry her again unless certain conditions are followed.