Who can You Complain against for Domestic Violence?

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

You can complain against both men and women for domestic violence. You can complain against the following:

  • Your family: You can complain about your family, if they are subjecting you to domestic violence, in the following circumstances:
    • If you are related to the harasser by blood, you can file a case against them. For example, your father, brother, etc.
    • If you are related to your harasser by marriage, you can file a case against them, such as your in-laws, husband, etc.
    • If you are related to your harasser by virtue of living together as a joint family, you can file a case against them. For example, your grandmother, uncle, adopted brother, etc. However, you can complain only against those who were complicit in the violence.(( Ashish Dixit v. State of UP & Anr. (2013) 4 SCC 176.)) For example, if you live in a joint family with ten people, and only your mother-in-law and husband subjected you to violence, you can complain only against them.
  • Your live-in partner: If your live-in partner hurts or abuses you, you can file a complaint against him.
  • Minors: You can complain against a minor who is subjecting you to domestic violence.(( Hiral P. Harsora v. Kusum Narottamdas Harsora (2016) 10 SCC 165.)) For example, if a 16 year old boy in your family is physically hurting you, then you can file a complaint for domestic violence.

While going to Court, keep in mind that you must have been subjected to domestic violence by someone with whom you have shared not only a domestic relationship but also shared a household.

Some states provide handbooks for ASHA workers where you can find more information on forms on violence and how to file a complaint to seek protection against domestic violence. For example, see this handbook published for ASHA in Chattisgarh, Delhi, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.1 / 5. Vote count: 8

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.


Sania siddiqui

August 26, 2022

There is only 2 months left for the marriage and yesterday when we both were talking meraj told me that there is some money given to father in law and uncles..i just said if that was the case you guys must have informed us before…to this he replied i am putting everything on him and his family and blaming then where that was all our mistake because we did not asked then what are your demands or what is the process…since then we are having a terrible conversation knocking each other.


September 5, 2022

How can we help you?

Aditya kartikey

September 18, 2023

My elder brother harrass me abuse me and physically hurt me daily he also abuses my mother whenever she tries to protect me what should I do everyone in my area know this thing should I consider police he even threatened to kill me he’s 18 year old?

Aparna Pande

March 29, 2024

My father mother elder brother and family related to my mother pressurized me for marriage and forcefully fixed my marriage I don’t want to get married for next two year and I am not happy with the decision of my family but still they are not ready to listen and forcing me for everything. My age is 28 years and I totally want to focus on my career and I don’t want to get married of my family choice. Please help me I need your help urjently please it’s an request.
My number – 9881169219

Alka Manral

May 30, 2024

I understand that this is an extremely stressful situation to be in. Firstly, have an honest open communication with your parents and explain your goals and ideal timeline for all this, while acknowledging their desire to see you settled. But seeing as they are not ready to listen, be prepared to walk away. Remember that your safety and wellbeing is of utmost importance. Forced marriage is illegal and one cannot be married off without their consent at all. Remember that if it comes to that, it will be a very difficult situation for you and your family, and you will be forced to take legal measures. If you are a woman who is being forced, approach the National Commission for Women at 181. They might be able to assist you directly. Also know your legal rights and explain that if the situation arises you will not be afraid to take legala action. This may persuade your parents to listen to you. Throughout the course of action, you will need very strong conviction and be firm in your decision to not be married off. You, and only you, can choose who you want to marry and when. 1.⁠ ⁠S.366 IPC- Since they are trying to induce you to compel marriage, you can file a case under section 366 IPC. What they are trying to do is a very serious offence in the eyes of the law. For this, the convicts might be punished with imprisonment of up to 10 years and also fine. Remember that you don’t need to give in to the pressures exerted by them. Also, if the police is not helping you adequately, then directly file a court complaint under section 200 of the CrPC i.e., go to a magistrate’s court and directly state your complaint and you will get the help.
2.⁠ ⁠What your family members are trying to do is also punishable under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005. Their actions constitute domestic violence as defined in section 3 of this Act, and you can file a case against them under this provision as well. Remember that this Act squarely covers the situation you are in- you are an aggrieved person within section 2(a) and the relationship you are sharing with your family members is a domestic relationship in terms of section 2(f).
Lastly, and importantly, contact the National Commission for Women and brief them about your situation so that your safety is not jeopardised. Apart from reaching out to them through their contact number, you can also register a complaint online by clicking here. You should also reach out to State Women Commissions simultaneously.

Sridevi Neerchal

October 21, 2023

Hi.. My Mother in law constantly abuses her power and harasses my husband for money which creates bad environment in our personal life and mentally disturbs me. Can I file complaint against my mother in law for harassment and abuse.


May 2, 2024

My friend’s mother is getting abused and harassed by her elder sister. They live as a joint family. She scolds her and sometimes throw things on her like garbage , water etc. This all going on since past 2 years.due to property partition they can’t separate.My friend is so sad about all these things happening to her own mother. She can’t really cope up with all this and want justice. Plz help


October 18, 2022

Meri shaadi ko 13.5 years ho gaye hain mera 3.5 saal ka baby bhi hai. Mere pati shuru se sharabi hai, maine bahut samjhaya lekin woh nahi samjhte hain. Unko bahut baar hospitalised karvaya hai aur jaan bachai hai lekin unki aadton mai koi badlaav nahi hai. Mere In-Laws Ghaziabad rehte hain, unko sab pata hai lekin woh koi help nahi karna chahte hain. Mere pati sharab peekar ghar mai gali aur maar peet karte hain. Maine kabhi koi complaint nahi ki unke against, darti thi aur har baar mauka de deti thi lekin abhi kuch din phele maine 100 number par call kia aur police aai aur mere pati ko warning di lekin abhi dobara se wahi sab shuru ho gaya hai. Mein mentally harrased hu aur mera bachcha bhi. Mere pati governemnt employee hai aur aaj tak unohone mera naam ya bachche ka naam apne service record mai nahi likhvaya hai. maine bahut request kari lekin har baar taal dete hai. mujhe apne future ki bahut chinta hai aur us se zyada apne bachche ke future ki. Mujhe saare rights chahiye aur sabse phele is abusive relationship ka solution chahiye. Subah shaam sharab pete hain, office nahi jate 1 week tak bhi ghar bethe hain mere husband. Please meri help kijiye.


October 25, 2022

We’re so sorry to read about your plight. Thank you for contacting Ask Nyaaya. Here’s what you can do: The wife can file a complaint against the husband in a police station or under the magistrate stating the grounds of divorce as cruelty. To constitute cruelty, the conduct complained of should be “grave and weighty” so as to come to the conclusion that the petitioner spouse cannot be reasonably expected to live with the other spouse. It must be something more serious than “ordinary wear and tear of married life”. The conduct taking into consideration the circumstances and background has to be examined to reach the conclusion whether the conduct complained of amounts to cruelty in the matrimonial law.


October 18, 2022

Mere Saas Sasur sirf paiso ki lalchi hai, unko paisa de do to woh khush hai nahi to unko hamari problems se koi lena dena nahi hai. Mere pati ko bhadkate hai, mujhe torture karvate hai bas yahi kaam hai unka.
Mere pati kehte hai tujhe apni sarkari naukri ka PF aur Gratuity mai se kuch nahi dunga, tujhe aur tere bachche ko sadak par la dunga. mujhe darr lagta hai kyunki meri private naukri hai.
office ke documents mai bhi changes nahi karva rahe hain 13.5 saal se, request kar karke thak gai hu. mental aur physical torture alag hai.
Mere bachche ko bhi mentally aur physically torture karte hain. Please help


October 25, 2022

We’re so sorry to read about your plight. Thank you for contacting Ask Nyaaya. Here is the answer: There are a number of means and ways through which a woman can be harassed by her in-laws. The harassment may be either by her husband or her mother-in-law or by any other in-laws.
Cruelty may be either physical or mental. It is not necessary that to get justice against the in-laws a physical cruelty has to happen but a mental cruelty too would serve as a proper evidence to take a legal action against her in-laws.
The provisions of law dealing with the harassment of a woman by her in-laws are Sections 498- A, 509, 304-B, 306, of the Indian Penal(IPC), the Domestic Violence Act, 2005 and Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961.
An aggrieved person may file an FIR under the abovementioned relevant provisions of the IPC.

A complaint can be presented to the Magistrate under Section 12 of the DV Act. Any other person can also file this complaint on behalf of the aggrieved person and sought the reliefs provided under the Act.

Aditya kartikey

September 18, 2023

My elder brother harrass me abuse me and physically hurt me daily he also abuses my mother whenever she tries to protect me what should I do everyone in my area know this thing should I consider police he even threatened to kill me he’s 18 year old?

salil verma

October 11, 2023

मेरी माँ समान आंटी के बड़े बेटे के बेटे की पत्नी ने घरेलु हिंसा के एक झूठे मुक़दमे में अपनी दादी सास का नाम लिखवा दिया है ,जबकि मेरे अंकल ने अपनी मृत्यु से पूर्व ही अपने बड़े बेटे और उसके परिवार को अपनी चल-अचल संपत्ति से बेदखल किया हुआ है और बड़ा बेटा अपनी पत्नी व दोनों बच्चों के साथ अलग रहता है बड़े बेटे का बेटा अपनी शादी के बाद से जबरदस्ती अपनी पत्नी के साथ दादी के घर में रह रहा है और उसकी पत्नी ने एक झूठा घरेलु हिंसा का मुकदमा न्यायालय में दर्ज करा दिया है जिसमे उसने दादी सास के साथ -साथ अपने सास -ससुर और बुआ सास के नाम भी लिखवाये है कृपया सलाह दे की दादी सास और बुआ सास का नाम कैसे निकलवाया जाए।

Adarsh goswami

October 13, 2023

I am (M 23 years) living with my father ,mother and younger sister(F 14 years ). My mother , I and my younger sister used to live with our maternal grandparents there my mother had an affair with another man and now when we are finally back living together all four of us my mother and father fights like hell both verbally and physically . My mother is verbally very abusive and says things that are not meant to say infront of a 14yr old girl . Now we are stuck in this hell for 4 months cause i am preparing for govt exams and my sister studies in 8 class . What should i do ?? Whenever we go back to live with our grandparents my mother used to come outside of our house and starts abusing my nana and nani to and she used to do this regularly . Anything that i can do legally ??

Suhas Desai

October 13, 2023

My Father and two elder brothers had admitted me mental hospital because I was going to marry a girl and relocate to different flat and broke my wedding. I want to file a case against them. Please help. I have enough evidence to prove it.

Varsha patlar

April 3, 2024

Mai ek pvt job karti hu. Pati ka job chala gaya hai. Ghar pe pura din sota raheta hai. Ghar ka kharcha mai uthati hu. Mere Saas Sasur sirf paiso ki lalchi hai, unko paisa de do to woh khush hai nahi to unko hamari problems se koi lena dena nahi hai. Mere pati ka bhai muje mar dalne ki dhamki deta hai. Uski biwi aur bachhe muje maarte hai aur gaali deta hai. Pati ko pancrea issue hai jo mere gharwalo ko Bataya hi nahi. 4 baar admit kiya hai. Hospital ka kharcha khud kiya hai. Ab mere pass bilkul paise nahi. Aur karja ho chuka hai. Pati kaha kaha se karja leta hai. Woh bhi mai chukati hu. Maayke wale bhi dhyan nahi dete. Kya Karu. Pati ke bhabhi ne ki hui gali galoch aur paise ki maang ka video hai. Bank statement se payment ka details hai. Ab konsa Complaint aur konse section lagau. Muje Ghar khali karna padega kya kyunki Ghar sasur ke naam hai

Rubin Law P.C.

May 23, 2024

This article provides crucial information on who you can complain against for domestic violence, breaking down the different scenarios and relationships involved. It’s empowering to know that regardless of gender, age, or familial ties, anyone experiencing abuse can seek help and justice. The clarity in explaining the various situations, such as familial, marital, or live-in partner violence, makes it easier for individuals to understand their rights and take action. Additionally, the inclusion of legal references adds credibility to the information presented. Overall, this article effectively educates and empowers readers, making strides towards ending domestic violence.

Alka Manral

May 30, 2024

आप या आपकी ओर से कोई भी, आपके पति के रिश्तेदारों द्वारा आपके साथ की गई किसी भी घरेलू हिंसा के खिलाफ शिकायत दर्ज करने के लिए नीचे सूचीबद्ध अधिकारियों से संपर्क कर सकता है:
पुलिस स्टेशन जाओ
आप अपने क्षेत्र के पुलिस स्टेशन या किसी अन्य पुलिस स्टेशन से संपर्क कर सकते हैं और घरेलू हिंसा की शिकायत दर्ज करा सकते हैं। पुलिस एक डीआईआर/एफआईआर दर्ज करेगी और/या आपको जिले के संरक्षण अधिकारी के पास भेजेगी जो आपकी आगे मदद करने में सक्षम होगा।
संरक्षण अधिकारी
संरक्षण अधिकारी से संपर्क करें
शिकायत दर्ज करने के लिए जिले का संरक्षण अधिकारी आपके लिए संपर्क का पहला बिंदु होगा। संरक्षण अधिकारी आपको घरेलू घटना रिपोर्ट (डीआईआर) दर्ज करने में मदद करेगा, आपको मौद्रिक राहत, सुरक्षा आदि दिलाने के लिए अदालत में आवेदन करेगा। संरक्षण अधिकारियों की राज्य-दर-राज्य सूची यहां दी गई है। यदि आपको अपने क्षेत्र का सुरक्षा अधिकारी नहीं मिल रहा है, तो आप गैर सरकारी संगठनों, नागरिक समाज संगठनों और सेवा प्रदाताओं से संपर्क कर सकते हैं जो आपको किसी से संपर्क कराएंगे।
महिलाओं के लिए राष्ट्रीय और राज्य आयोग
राष्ट्रीय/राज्य महिला आयोग से संपर्क करें
राष्ट्रीय महिला आयोग (एनसीडब्ल्यू) एक राष्ट्रीय स्तर का सरकारी संगठन है जो महिलाओं द्वारा सामना किए जाने वाले मुद्दों, जैसे घरेलू हिंसा, दहेज उत्पीड़न, बलात्कार आदि से संबंधित शिकायतों की जांच करने के लिए सशक्त है। एनसीडब्ल्यू आपकी मदद करेगा:
पुलिस के नेतृत्व में की जा रही जांचों की निगरानी और तेजी लाई जा रही है।
एनसीडब्ल्यू के समक्ष परामर्श या सुनवाई प्रदान करना, ताकि दोनों पक्षों के बीच विवाद का समाधान हो सके।
एक जांच समिति का गठन करना जो मौके पर जांच करती है, गवाहों की जांच करती है, साक्ष्य एकत्र करती है और घरेलू हिंसा के संबंध में सिफारिशों के साथ रिपोर्ट प्रस्तुत करती है।
आप या तो हेल्पलाइन नंबर 1091 पर कॉल करके, या ncw@nic.in पर ईमेल भेजकर या ऑनलाइन शिकायत दर्ज करके उनसे संपर्क कर सकते हैं। चूंकि एनसीडब्ल्यू नई दिल्ली में स्थित है, आप अपने राज्य में स्थित राज्य महिला आयोग से संपर्क कर सकते हैं और उनसे मदद मांग सकते हैं।
कुछ राज्य आशा कार्यकर्ताओं के लिए हैंडबुक प्रदान करते हैं जहां आप हिंसा पर प्रपत्रों के बारे में अधिक जानकारी पा सकते हैं, यह कहां हो सकती है और घरेलू हिंसा के खिलाफ सुरक्षा पाने के लिए शिकायत कैसे दर्ज करें। उदाहरण के लिए, छत्तीसगढ़, दिल्ली, झारखंड, मध्य प्रदेश और उत्तराखंड में आशा के लिए प्रकाशित इस पुस्तिका को देखें।


May 12, 2024

Mera naam taniya h mujhe mere pati or sasural walo se pareshaan hu mere pati bhot nasha karte h mujh pe chillate maarte h gaali dete h preshaan krte h baat baat pe mujhe bar m Jane ki baat karte h kehte waha Jake kaam kr mere pati humara kharcha nhi uthate mere do ladhke bada wala mere saas ne le liya mere pass rakhne nhi deti or na mere pati kamate na mujh ko kaam karne dete kehte h tu dhanda kar ja k mai karu mujhe mera bachha chahiye.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence