What is a Domestic Incident Report?

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on domestic violence which some readers may find disturbing.]

Domestic incident report (DIR)((Section 2(e), The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.)) is a report that is made on receiving a complaint of domestic violence from a woman. This report can be made by either a Protection Officer or a service provider. The DIR will contain details such as your name, age, details of the harasser, details of the incident of violence that happened, etc. To file a DIR, you can approach any of the following officers/persons:

Protection Officer

A protection officer upon receiving a complaint has to fill the DIR and inform you of your legal rights under the law. You will also get a free copy of the DIR to keep with you. Afterwards, the protection officer will send the Domestic Incident Report and an application to the Court to start a case. The DIR will also be forwarded to the police station or Service Providers.

Service Provider

A service provider upon receiving a complaint has to fill the DIR and put you in touch with a Protection Officer or send it to the Court(( Section 10 (2) (a), The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.)). If you have been injured, a service provider will help you get a medical examination done and the report will be forwarded to the Protection Officer or police station. They also help you get in touch with shelter homes where you can stay away from the harasser.

Police Officers

If you cannot find a Protection Officer or a service provider, you can approach the nearest police station to file a complaint. The officers will put you in touch with a Protection Officer and give you the option of filing the following:

  • FIR (First Information Report)

By filing a First Information Report, a criminal case can be initiated against the harasser. The police will give you the option of filing an FIR at any point if you want to pursue a criminal complaint(( Form I(8), Section 2(e), The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.)).

  • DIR (Domestic Incident Report)

If you do not want to initiate criminal proceedings by filing an FIR then the police officer has to make a daily diary entry about the domestic violence you faced, and enter details per the DIR forwarded to the police by the PO. If such information is not available, the police will put you in touch with a Protection Officer to file a DIR and get this information for the daily diary.

Person-in-charge of Medical Facilities 

If you have approached a medical facility and have not yet filed a DIR, the person-in-charge of the medical facility must file a DIR, and forward it to the Protection Officer.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 3.7 / 5. Vote count: 3

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.



September 19, 2022

15 years of my married life was happy with my husband.He was a gods gift to me. My husband Younger sister (sister in law) always scolds me and provokes me to die. Last month I commited suicide because of sister in law. My father in law was not there..My mother in law was a Algimer patient and iam taking care of her from 3.5 years. and rest of my husbands brothers did not take care of her mother.my mother in law have one house and all brothers agreed to give that house to me without written letter which is in the name of my mother in law. One of the plot of my father in law..was registered in the name of my sister in laws (2) members Last 3.5 years iam only the take care for my mother in law. She has gold of 7 thulas..in the last month i said that i did not give gold to the sister in laws because that plot registered for the sister in law was more value compared to the house value of my mother in law which was agreed to give to me. Now the point is my sister in law saying that and scolding that( all false statements) iam not keeping rice to their mother, I was pushing from the chair, and beating their mother etc.. etc… She was scolding because I said know I did not give gold to sister in law… Keeping that point in mind … They took their mother from my house by scolding me… and said to all family members that my mother in laws house was selling…with that money they are joining in old age home and after her death they will share the remaing money to all brothers and gold for small kids like grand son ,grand daughter . Why they not asked in between three years..last month only i said about gold that’s why sister in laws are playing games… and they are torturing with their bad words.. What to do plz help…


September 26, 2022

Thank you for writing to Nyaaya. We understand that you are in a very difficult situation and are sorry that you have to face this. To take action for your rights, you can:
You can visit your nearest police station and file a complaint regarding domestic violence against your sister in law. The aggrieved person or any other witness of the offence on her behalf can approach a Police Officer, Protection Officer, and Service Provider or can directly file a complaint with a Magistrate for obtaining orders or reliefs under the Act. The informant who in good faith provides information relating to the offence to the relevant authorities will not have any civil or criminal liability. You can also approach national commission for women (http://www.ncw.nic.in/). Helpline number -7827170170.
With regards to the division of property and securities, you can approach the court through a lawyer by providing documents of the concerned property along with other required proofs. You can contact the District legal service authority of your state for free legal aid (https://districts.ecourts.gov.in/district-legal-service-authority-3).


August 16, 2023

ಒಂದು ತಿಂಗಳ ಹಿಂದೆ ನನ್ನ ಗಂಡ ನನಗೆ ಕುಡಿದು ಕುರಿತು ಹೊಡೆದು ಹಿಂಸೆ ಮಾಡಿದರು ನನ್ನ ತಾಳಿ ಮತ್ತೆ ಮೊಬೈಲ್ ಫೋನ್ ತೆಗೆದುಕೊಂಡು ಹೋದರು. ನಮ್ಮ ಅತ್ತೆ ಅವರ ತಮ್ಮ ಬಂಧು ಮತ್ತೆ ಜಗಳ ಮಾಡಿನನ್ನನ್ನ ಮನೆಯಿಂದ ಆಚೆ ಕಳಿಸಿ ನನ್ನ ಗಂಡನನ್ನು ಅವರ ಮನೆಗೆ ಕರ್ಕೊಂಡು ಹೋದರು ತಿಂಗಳಿಂದ ನನ್ನ ಗಂಡ ನಮ್ಮನ್ನು ನೋಡಲು ಮನೆಗೆ ಬಂದಿಲ್ಲ ಮಕ್ಕಳನ್ನು ನೋಡಲು ಬಂದಿಲ್ಲ ಫೋನ್ ಕೂಡ ಮಾಡಿಲ್ಲ ಈಗ ನಾನೇ ಬನ್ನಿ ಅಂತ ಕರೆಯಲು ಹೋದರೆ ಅವರ ಅಮ್ಮ ಚಿಕ್ಕಮ್ಮ ಬಂಧುಗಳು ಯಾರು ಕಳುಹಿಸುತ್ತಿಲ್ಲನನ್ನ ಗಂಡ ನೀನು ಬೇಡ ಒಂದು ಡೈವರ್ಸ್ ಕೊಡ್ತೀನಿ ಹೋಗು ಅಂದಿದ್ದಾರೆ ಅವರು ಬರ್ತಿಲ್ಲ ಆದರೆ ನನಗೆ ನನ್ನ ಗಂಡ ಬೇಕು ನನ್ನ ಮಕ್ಕಳಿಗೆ ಅಪ್ಪ ಬೇಕು ನಾನೇನು ಮಾಡಲಿ ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಸಹಾಯ ಮಾಡಿ.


January 13, 2024

My wife has stayed with me and family only for 6 days after marriage, after then she went to her mother house for group exam for 2 months. After the exam completed I asked to come but she said I had earn money for my parents, I had given complaint at AWPS, then also she had not stayed with me, lot of problems she had given . I had applied for divorce after 1 year, but after 15 months she filed DV case against me and my family with false statement and in that case judge has given order to give her space in my house and for that I had gone for appeal, in that appeal judge has given order as to give lot of money. She had already worked as teacher, and now also working somewhere else. She had not proven any thing. But judgement has given favour for her. Totally disappointed on court. How can a lady can file case without lived in the matrimonial house.

Alka Manral

May 30, 2024

1. As a first response, you can file a petition for Restitution of Conjugal Rights against your wife mentioning that she has left the matrimonial house without any valid reason.
2. For the false case- A criminal case can be filed under Section 120B of the IPC if the husband finds that his wife is criminally conspiring against him and his family members.
If false information is given to the police by your wife then you may precede u/s 182 of the IPC, which criminalises false statement on oath given to a public offcer. The police officer will write a complaint and will forward it to the concerned officer and criminal proceedings shall start.
A case can be brought under Section 191 of the IPC, which directly criminalises giving false evidence against the wife if she is bringing false evidence on record of the court.
3. To answer your last query on how can a woman file a case outside their matrimonial home, it has been held by courts all over the country in various cases that a woman can file a case without living in their matrimonial home, and you cannot force your wife to live in the matrimonial home.

Chandra Prakash

April 29, 2024

मेरी पत्नी मुझे खुद छोड़कर चली गई 8.1.19 को जब वह मेरे साथ रहने नही आई तो मैंने तलाक का केस कर दिया 21.1.19 को इसके बाद मेरी पत्नी ने एक झूठी कहानी बनाकर मेरे पर 11.03.19 को दहेज का केस कर दिया, इसके बाद एक ही दिन 2.5.19 मैं दो केस DV 12 और सीआरपीसी 125 का कर दिया। जो अभी भी विचाराधीन है कोर्ट मैं। लेकिन मेरी पत्नी बोल रही है की मैं जबरदस्ती आपके घर मैं रहूंगी लेकिन मैं अब ऐसी झूठी पत्नी के साथ रहना नहीं चाहता हूं। अगर वो घर पर आ जाए तो मुझे क्या करना चाहिए। Plz Tell me

Alka Manral

May 23, 2024

1. एक कानूनी रूप से विवाहित पत्नी को अपने पति के घर में रहने का अधिकार होता है, अर्थात उसके साझा घर में, जब तक उसका कानूनी तलाक नहीं हो जाता है, जैसा कि अधिकतम न्यायालय ने कहा है, तो वह आपके घर में रह सकती है।
2. अगर आपको जीवन को खतरे में डालने या अन्य किसी समस्या से शांति और आत्मसमर्पण में विघ्न आने का अनुभव होता है, तो आप अपने प्रशासनिक क्षेत्र के पुलिस थाने में शिकायत दर्ज करा सकते हैं या संचार की मांग भी अदालत से कर सकते हैं।


May 3, 2024

Will the abuser be informed when we file a DIR? I want to keep a record of the abuse that he has subjected me to for 21 years (yes, I put up with it for that long – because there was a child and I wanted the child to have as normal a life as possible.). It is just becoming intolerable day by day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence