All patients have a right to ‘continuity of care’. Service and quality of care given to a patient cannot change if a patient is:
- Referred to a different doctor
- Transferred to a different facility.
- Reason for transfer
- Alternative options available
- Confirmation of acceptance of transfer from the other facility
Sometimes doctors may request consultation with specialists. In addition, during treatment with specialists, the attending physician must share the patient’s case summary. This will enable the specialist can give his opinion in writing to the physician.2.
Regardless of favors, like monetary benefits, commissions, or any benefits in kind, doctors cannot have any commercial interests. For instance, the World Health Organization has put out guidelines that may be adopted to ensure efficiency in the medical referral system.
- Section 3.6, Indian Medical Council (Professional Conduct, Etiquette and Ethics) Regulations, 2002
- Section 3.6, Indian Medical Council Regulations, 2002