Land and Property belonging to SC/ST

Last updated on Jun 14, 2022

It is illegal to take over any land that is owned or controlled by, or allotted to any SC/ST member as well as forcing an SC/ST member to leave her home unless it is done legally. 

The takeover of the property is considered illegal if it is done

  • without the agreement of the victim, or
  • by threatening her or someone connected to her, or
  • by making false records.

It is also a crime to similarly illegally deprive an SC/ST member of his property or to prevent him from exercising his rights over any land. This includes:

  • Blocking an SC/ST member from accessing any forest rights under the Forest Rights Act.
  • Blocking rights to any water source or irrigation source.
  • Destroying or taking away crops.

You can face imprisonment of a term of 6 months to 7 years for using fire or bombs to damage homes, religious places and/or property belonging to SC/ST members. You can report such crimes.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 2.3 / 5. Vote count: 11

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.


Shyam prasad

June 27, 2023

Can government acquire SC lands

Namgyal Gyaltsen

February 2, 2024

Hi I am very proud 🤞bpl card holder from spiti himachal.
I got known that people like me uneducated unemployed can own free land distributed from government,
But some rich people with fake bpl recognition, had occupied all lands in my village,
Help me
Namgyal from spiti India

Alka Manral

May 22, 2024

Aapko unlogo ka khilaf eek FIR register karwana hoga apna naziki police station mein. Yeh log Cheating & Forgery ka liya prosecute hoga. Jo police station jach padtal ka baad unlogo ka BPL card revoke kar degi or unki di hue zamin bhi wapis leli jaayegi.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Reporting a Crime/Atrocity

If a crime has been committed against you due to your identity as member of the SC/STs, you can approach several places for immediate relief.

Externment of Persons Committing Atrocities

If a person is likely to commit crimes against members of SC/STs in scheduled areas, Special Courts can have them removed from there.
citizen rights icon

Precautionary and preventive measures to be taken by States

The law requires special measures to be taken by the State Governments to prevent atrocities against members of SC/STs.
citizen rights icon

Investigation of Cases

Investigation for crime against member of SC/STs reported under special law must be done by a police officer of rank of DSP or above.

FIR, Arrest and Bail

No preliminary inquiry needs to be conducted by investigation officer before filing FIR for a crime committed against a member of SC/STs.

Relief and Rehabilitation for Victims of Atrocities

The law requires measures to be taken by the District administration to provide relief and ensure rehabilitation of members of SCs or STs
citizen rights icon