Reporting a Crime/Atrocity

Last updated on Jun 14, 2022

If a crime has been committed against you owing to your identity as member of the Scheduled castes or scheduled tribes, you can approach any of these places to get immediate relief: 


You can either call 100 or visit a police station to report the incident. The police will note down your details and if needed arrive at your location to provide you immediate help. They will write down your information and details of the incident in an FIR and provide you with a copy of it, free of cost. 

National Commission for Scheduled Castes 

The National Commission for Scheduled Castes is a body set up under the Constitution to investigate and monitor the interests of the Scheduled Castes. They also have the power to inquire into specific complaints in cases where members of Scheduled Castes are deprived of their rights. You can either call their toll free helpline or visit their website for more information.  

Toll Free Number: 1800 1800 345



Contact details of State Commissions: 

National Commission for Scheduled Tribes

Like the NCSC, there exists a National Commission for Scheduled Tribes as well. They have the power to investigate into complaints registered for atrocities committed against the members of Scheduled Tribes. 


Contact information for the National Commission as well as its regional offices can be found here:

SC/ST Protection Cell 

SC/ST Protection Cells have been set up in different States and Union Territories across India. The head of these cells is usually a high ranking police officer of the State or UT, like the Inspector General of police or the Additional Director General of Police. If you want to approach such a cell in your state, take the help of the nearest police station.

Manual Scavengers

If you are being forced to work as a manual scavenger or know someone who is being forced, please complain to the police or the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis. Please know that the practice of manual scavenging is prohibited under law. For more information please read this

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 3 / 5. Vote count: 3

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Externment of Persons Committing Atrocities

If a person is likely to commit crimes against members of SC/STs in scheduled areas, Special Courts can have them removed from there.
citizen rights icon

Precautionary and preventive measures to be taken by States

The law requires special measures to be taken by the State Governments to prevent atrocities against members of SC/STs.
citizen rights icon

Investigation of Cases

Investigation for crime against member of SC/STs reported under special law must be done by a police officer of rank of DSP or above.

FIR, Arrest and Bail

No preliminary inquiry needs to be conducted by investigation officer before filing FIR for a crime committed against a member of SC/STs.

Relief and Rehabilitation for Victims of Atrocities

The law requires measures to be taken by the District administration to provide relief and ensure rehabilitation of members of SCs or STs
citizen rights icon

Education for Children Belonging to Disadvantaged Groups

It is the duty of the government and the local authorities to ensure that children from disadvantaged groups are not discriminated against and are able to complete their elementary education.
citizen rights icon