Externment of Persons Committing Atrocities

Last updated on May 30, 2024

The law designates certain areas as tribal areas or scheduled areas. If any person is likely to commit crimes or atrocities against members of SCs and STs in such areas, the Special Courts can have them removed from there. 

However, the Special Court must list down the grounds for taking such an action against anybody.1

Period of Removal Order

The order of removal can be made for a period up to 3 years. The person against whom such an order is made can request the Special Court to modify or revoke the removal order within 30 days of the passing of the order.

Disobeying Removal Order

If the person against whom a removal order is passed either fails to remove himself from the area or after being removed returns to the area without proper permission, the Special Court can have him arrested and removed to police custody outside the specified area.2 The penalty for disobeying the removal order is imprisonment up to 1 year and a fine.3

Special Permission to Enter Specified Area

The person who has been removed from the area can apply to the Special Court to enter that place for a limited period of time. If they are granted such permission, it will be conditional. The Court can even ask the person to execute a bond (with or without surety) to ensure the conditions mentioned in the permission are followed.

The Special Court has the power to revoke this permission at any time. If the permission has expired or been revoked, fresh permission needs to be taken for re-entry. 

If any of the conditions of the permission are violated, the person can be arrested by the police and be taken to the police station outside the tribal or scheduled area. 


  1. Section 10, Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989. []
  2. Section 11, Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989. []
  3. Section 13, Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989. []

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Reporting a Crime/Atrocity

If a crime has been committed against you due to your identity as member of the SC/STs, you can approach several places for immediate relief.

Precautionary and preventive measures to be taken by States

The law requires special measures to be taken by the State Governments to prevent atrocities against members of SC/STs.
citizen rights icon

Investigation of Cases

Investigation for crime against member of SC/STs reported under special law must be done by a police officer of rank of DSP or above.

FIR, Arrest and Bail

No preliminary inquiry needs to be conducted by investigation officer before filing FIR for a crime committed against a member of SC/STs.

Relief and Rehabilitation for Victims of Atrocities

The law requires measures to be taken by the District administration to provide relief and ensure rehabilitation of members of SCs or STs
citizen rights icon

Education for Children Belonging to Disadvantaged Groups

It is the duty of the government and the local authorities to ensure that children from disadvantaged groups are not discriminated against and are able to complete their elementary education.
citizen rights icon