If you have lost or damaged your Driving License (DL), you can apply for a duplicate DL, in which case you will be given a new DL.
Follow the steps given below for a duplicate DL:
Step 1 – You should inform the Regional Transport Office (RTO)/ Regional Transport Authority (RTA) of your state, from where you obtained the original DL, that you have lost/damaged your DL, and apply in writing for the issuance of a duplicate DL.
Step 2- You should fill in and submit the application form.
Step 3 – You should submit the following:1
- FIR of the lost DL
- Declaration of physical fitness, which will be available on your state’s website or your state’s RTO’s office. For example,for Delhi, you can download the form here.
- Proof of residence (original and a self-attested copy)2
- The prescribed fee. This fee varies across states.
- Any additional documents that might be required, according to your state.
Step 4 – You can then collect your DL. Sometimes, the RTO may deliver it to your address, but you should ask the RTO for the details on this step.
If you are unable to obtain a duplicate license or your state does not allow it, you can apply for a new one, but you will have to demonstrate that you tried to get a duplicate license, and that it wasn’t possible for you to get it.3
If you require any additional help and support, please see here.
Read this government resource to know more
- Transport Department (Government of Delhi), Duplicate Driving License, http://transport.delhi.gov.in/content/duplicate-driving-licence
- Rule 4, Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989
- Section 9(7), Motor Vehicles Act, 1988