Proof of Residence

Last updated on May 28, 2024

To issue different government kinds of proof of identification, you will have to submit a proof of residence, which may indicate your permanent address or your communication address. For the kind of proof of identification you are applying for or updating, you can use any document from the list given below:

Aadhar Card, PAN Card, Passport

  • Bank/Post Office Statement/Passbook
  • Depending on which you are applying for, you can use the other two options between Passport, PAN Card and Aadhar. For example, if you are applying for an Aadhar card, you can use either your PAN Card or your Passport as residence proof.
  • Ration Card, Voter ID, Driving License
  • Insurance Policy
  • Disability ID Card/Handicapped Medical Certificate
  • Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
  • Any of the following documents, not older than 3 months:
    • Electricity Bill
    • Water Bill
    • Telephone Landline Bill
    • Credit Card Statement
    • Gas Connection Bill

Refer here for a complete list for residence proofs for Aadhar, PAN Card and Passport.

Voter ID

  • Bank/Kisan/Post Office Passbook
  • Ration Card, Passport, Driving License
  • Income Tax Return/Assessment Order
  • Latest Water/Telephone/Electricity/Gas Connection Bill for that address, either in the name of the applicant/his immediate relations like parents, etc.
  • Postal Department’s post received/delivered in the applicant’s name at the given address.

Driving License

  • Ration Card, Voter ID Card
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Payslip issued by any office in the Central/State Government or a local body
  • Post Office/Bank Passbook (indicating residential address)
  • House Tax Receipt, Marriage Certificate, Income Tax Returns

For a complete list for residence proofs for Driving License refer here.

Ration Card

Different states have different requirements with respect to the proof of residence required while obtaining a Ration Card. However, some of the common documents accepted are1:

  • If you are the owner of a house: Registration deed, allotment letter, power of attorney, house tax receipt etc.
  • If you are the tenant: NOC of landlord, Rent Agreement etc.

Read this government resource to know more

  1. IndiaGov Archive, Apply for Ration Card:Delhi, FAQs, []

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.8 / 5. Vote count: 4

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.


बबन ठोबा वळवी

January 2, 2024

पॅनकार्ड काढण्यासाठी

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Getting Identification Proof (ID Proof)

An ID proof contains your personal details, which are useful for authorities to determine and verify your identity

Your Right to Recognition of Your Gender Identity

Identification documents play a major role in facilitating your rights such as the right to healthcare, education, etc. and are also important for day-to-day activities. It is your right to get identification documents recognizing the gender you want to be associated with.

PAN Card for LGBTQ+ Persons

PAN (Permanent Account Number) is an identification proof mandatorily required to file taxes which is issued by the Income Tax Department.

Proof of Gender Identity

When you face any trouble with officials or people who want you to prove the gender you identify with, you have the option of showing them the documents given below.

Learner’s License for LGBTQ+ Persons

A Learner's License is a temporary license which is valid for 6 months, which legally allows you to practice driving on Indian roads, as long as you are accompanied by an adult who holds a valid Driving License

Driving License for LGBTQ+ Persons

A Driving License (DL) is an official document, issued in the form of a card, by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) or Regional Transport Authority (RTA) of each State.