It is important that health and safety of working children is taken care of. As an employer of an adolescent or a child allowed by the law to work, you should make sure that the child or adolescent is provided with the highest standards of safety and care through the following measures:
- The establishment should be clean and free from any form of nuisance.
- Wastes and effluents should be disposed off properly and in a manner which it is not open and unhygienic.
- There should be proper ventilation and lighting.
- The building must be maintained and precautions must be taken for fire accidents.
- All the machinery should be fenced to prevent accidents.
- Provisions for drinking water, latrines, urinals and spittoons should be made.
- Protective gear for eyes and body should be provided.
- Floor, stairs and means of access.
- Maintenance of building and machinery.
- Proper instructions should be given to adolescents for handling dangerous machines.
- Training and supervision should be given to adolescents for handling dangerous machinery.
- If you don’t fulfill your duties as an employer to comply with the laws on health and safety you can be jailed for a maximum period of a month or be fined a maximum amount of Rs. 10,000 or both.