Some general rules that should be followed when employing adolescents (except when they are working with family or government-funded/recognized schools).
In a day an adolescent:
- Can only be made to work continuously for a maximum period of 3 (three) hours at a time.
- Is entitled to a break of one hour.
- Cannot be made to work for more than 6 (six) hours in a day. This includes the time they spend in waiting for work and their breaks.
- Cannot be made to work between 7pm and 8 am.
- Cannot be made to work more than their normal work hours.
- Cannot be made to work with two employers in the same day.
Further, one day off every week has to be given!
This day will be specified by the employer in a notice at the workplace. The employer should not alter this specified holiday day more than once in three months.
If you don’t fulfill your duties as an employer to comply with the laws on working hours and days you can be jailed for a maximum period of a month or be fined a maximum amount of Rs. 10,000 or both.