Some examples of sexual remarks are:
- A remark or statement that feels sexual to you.
- An ordinary remark which isn’t exactly sexual in nature but has a sexual implication to it.
Sexual threats can be verbal, gestural or written. There is a higher punishment for such acts. It is a sexual threat if:
- It is sexual and is intended to scare you, hurt you or annoy you.
- The sexual threat is made to warn you of an inappropriate touch or any forceful sexual act which is about to happen.
- Anyone making sexual remarks to you will be punished with jail time up to 1 year with fine3 and anyone making sexual threats will be punished with jail time of minimum 1 year and maximum 5 years along with a fine.4
You can complain against such behaviour.0
- Section 354 and 354A, Indian Penal Code, 1860
- Section 509, Indian Penal Code, 1860
- Section 354A(3), Indian Penal Code, 1860
- Section 354, Indian Penal Code, 1860