|Portfolio Keyphrase: Non-physical Sexual Harassment of child
Tags: Abuse, Violence, Crime, Children, Explainer
[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on sexual and physical violence which some readers may find disturbing.]
Sexual harassment means non-physical sexual behaviour which is unwelcome to the child, such as1:
Speaking and gesturing sexually
- Speaking, gesturing, or showing sexual organs to the child.
- Showing a sexual object or any sexual body parts to a child.
- Forcing or asking a child to show their body parts to someone else.
Stalking and threatening
- Repeatedly or constantly following, watching, or contacting a child either directly or indirectly by phone, SMS, the internet, or any other form.
- Threatening or lying to a child to involve them in a sexual act in any form of media.
- Showing pornography to a child.
- Tempting or persuading a child to participate in pornographic acts.
Sexual harassment of a child is punishable with jail time up to three years along with a fine.2
- Section 3, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
- Section 12, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.