This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on sexual and physical violence which some readers may find disturbing.
Non-Physical Behaviour which is unwelcome and of a sexual nature is known as Sexual Harassment.
Sexual Harassment can be non-physical actions like1:
Speaking and Gesturing sexually
- Speaking, gesturing or showing sexual organs so that the child sees it.
- Showing a sexual object or any sexual parts of the body to a child.
- Forcing or asking a child to show his or her body parts to someone else.
Stalking and Threatening
- Repeatedly or constantly following, watching or contacting a child either directly or indirectly by phone, SMS, the internet or any other form.
- Threatening or lying to a child to involve him or her in a sexual act in any form of media.
- Showing pornography to a child in any form.
- Tempting or offering things like chocolates to a child so that the child participates in any pornographic acts.
Sexual Harassment of a child is punishable with jail time up to three years along with a fine.20
- Section 11, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
- Section 12, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.