|Portfolio Keyphrase: What is Child Sexual Assault
Tags: Abuse, Violence, Crime, Children, Explainer
[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on sexual and physical violence which some readers may find disturbing.]
A person commits sexual assault on a child if they1:
- Touch a child with a sexual intent. This includes touching the child’s vagina, penis, anus, breast etc.
- Force a child to touch their own or anyone else’s vagina, penis, anus, breast, etc.
The punishment for this is jail time from three to five years to a life in prison along with a fine.2
If the offender is in a position of trust or authority, then this is a higher degree of crime known as Aggravated Sexual Assault3 which has a higher degree of punishment. Read more in our explainer “What is an aggravated crime of sexual abuse by an authority figure?”.
- Section 7, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
- Section 8, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
- Section 9, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.