Seeking Medical Help

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

Survivors have the right to get immediate and free first-aid or medical treatment from medical institutions (both public and private). The institution must also inform the police of the criminal incident.(( Section 357), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) If the institution refuses to provide treatment and inform the police, the person in charge of the institution is punishable with imprisonment for up to one year and/or a fine.(( Section 166B, Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.))

Within 24 hours of receiving information about the criminal incident, the police sent the survivor to an authorised doctor for a medical examination. The medical examination can happen only with the consent of the survivor or someone who can consent on her behalf.(( Section 164A(1), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) After obtaining consent, the doctor immediately examines the survivor and prepares a detailed report with conclusions about the survivor’s injuries, mental condition, etc.(( Section 164A(2), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) The report also records that consent was obtained,(( Section 164A(4), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) and notes the exact time at which the medical examination was started and completed.(( Section 164A(5), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) The doctor immediately sends the medical report to the concerned police officer who is investigating the case, and the officer then forwards it to the Magistrate.(( Section 164A(6), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.))

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Reporting Rape

If you want to report a rape case, under the Indian law, you can follow the procedure which has been mentioned herein.
Crimes and Violence

Custodial Harassment of LGBTQ+ Persons by Police

If you are arrested, you will be in the custody of the police at the police station for 24 hours, till they take you to the nearest Magistrate (Court). They can keep you for 15 more days only if they get the permission of the Magistrate.
Crimes and Violence

Arrest Without Warrant

There are certain crimes for which the police can arrest you without a warrant. Such crimes are known in law as cognizable offences. These crimes are usually of serious nature such as rape, murder, assault etc.

Rape of LGBTQ+ Persons

When a man has sexual intercourse with you, without your consent, it is considered to be rape under the law. Currently, under the law, only women or trans women can be victims of rape or sexual violence and can only file it against a man.
Crimes and Violence

FIRs filed for Women Related Offences

The information related to acid attacks and sexual offences has to be registered by a woman police officer or any other woman officer.

Protecting the Identity of the Survivor

No one is allowed to print or publish the name or any matter which may reveal the identity of a survivor. The punishment for doing so is imprisonment for up to two years and a fine.
Crimes and Violence