How can you Get Help and Support against Domestic Violence?

Last updated on May 11, 2022

[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on domestic violence which some readers may find disturbing.]

While filing a domestic violence complaint, you might need additional support and help, which you can access by approaching the authorities listed below.

Support and Assistance

Protection Officer

You can also approach the Protection Officer of your district, who provide you with support, by helping you obtain free legal aid, make a shelter home available to you, if required, direct you to appropriate service providers, etc.

NGOs,Civil Society Organizations, Service Providers 

You can approach NGOs, civil society organizations or service providers to help you and provide you with support, such as providing legal aid, making you aware of your rights, getting you in touch with the concerned Protection Officer, etc. Depending on the organization, they may even provide you with shelter, employment opportunities and vocational training, counselling, etc. These services will likely be free of cost, depending on the type of organization you have approached.

Service providers also have the power to record a Domestic Incident Report themselves and forward it to the concerned Court or Protection Officer. They can also help you get a medical checkup, especially if you are injured and forward the medical report to the concerned Protection Officer or police station.

Some states provide handbooks for ASHA workers where you can find more information on forms on violence, where it can happen and how to file a complaint to seek protection against domestic violence. For example, see this handbook published for ASHA in Chattisgarh, Delhi, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

Legal Assistance

Getting a Lawyer

You have the option of approaching a lawyer to help you navigate from the complaint stage to helping you go to Court.  If you cannot afford a lawyer, you can approach the District Legal Service Authority in your district for free legal aid. See here to understand the procedure for applying for free legal aid. If you are unsure as to how to find it, you can ask for help from the Protection Officer, NGOs, service providers, etc.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence