How can you get Compensation or Money for Domestic Violence?

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on domestic violence which some readers may find disturbing.]

To get money or compensation from the harasser, you can file an application1 with the Court asking for monetary relief with the help of a lawyer or a Protection Officer. The Court will pass an order to compensate you and your child/children for all the losses and injuries you have suffered as a result of the violence and abuse. You may get the money either on a monthly basis or as a lump sum as decided by the Court. The amount of money you can get will be determined by the Court keeping in mind the standard of living you are used to2. Among other things, the harasser may be asked to pay you money for:

  • Your lost income. For example, loss of earning in situations where you were not allowed to work or if you did not receive a salary because you were in the hospital for a month because of violence.
  • Physical injuries and medical expenses. For example, hospital bills and money for medicines.
  • Loss due to damage to your property or property being taken away. For example, your jewelry or land that you owned. The Court may ask the harasser to return such valuable items back to you3
  • Upkeep for your life. For example, paying rent for the house, living expenses for your child and yourself, etc.
  • Mental torture and emotional distress. For any distress caused to you which has affected your work or your life.4

Laws you can use

There are two laws under which you can ask the Court to make the harasser pay money to you – domestic violence law (Section 20/22) and criminal law (Section 125, CrPc). You can ask your lawyer to claim monetary relief using both laws5.

In case of failure of payment

If your harasser does not give you the money, as ordered by the Court, you should inform  the Court with the help of a lawyer. The Court will then ask:

  • The harasser’s employer/boss to pay the amount to the Court and deduct it from his salary.

Any other person6 who owes the harasser money to pay the amount to the court which will then be given to you.

  1. Section 20, The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005; Section 125, The Code Of Criminal Procedure,1973.[]
  2. Sunil Singh v. Smt Neetu Singh 2011 SCC OnLine Del 5506[]
  3. Section 19, The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.[]
  4. Section 22, The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.[]
  5. Prakash Babulal Dangi v. The State of Maharashtra & Anr.Petition for Special Leave to Appeal(Crl.) Nos.10280-10281/2017.[]
  6. Section 20(6), The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.[]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence