Hindu Divorce if Spouse has left you

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

If your spouse has left you then you can file for a divorce. This is known as desertion.

Immediate Effect of Desertion

Desertion can happen if your spouse has left you with immediate effect with an intention to never come back to stay with you as your spouse, without you agreeing to this arrangement.

This will only be understood by the Courts on a case by case basis. It is important to note that if your spouse has temporarily or in the heat of the moment left you, without actually intending to abandon you, this will not amount to desertion.

For example, if you had a fight with your husband and he leaves the house in anger then it does not mean that he has deserted you.

Causing Desertion

However, it is important that you have not created such a circumstance that any reasonable person would find so difficult to bear with that would have had to desert you. If you have created such a circumstance then the courts may not consider your case for desertion.

Other Ways of Desertion

Apart from a single act of leaving you, desertion can happen over a period of time through a course of conduct or through repeated behavioural patterns.

If your spouse has slowly withdrawn from you and your social circles (for example: stopped all interaction with you and your family though he/she may live with you) and has stopped behaving as any spouse does in a marriage (for example: refusing to financially contribute to a household since and contribute in any other way to the household) it can be understood as desertion. In such a case the spouse doesn’t have to physically leave you. Depending on the circumstances of each case, the Court can consider the desertion to begin when such behaviour started.

The Court will look at all the facts and circumstances to understand each specific case to decide on granting a divorce.

Time Period for Desertion

In order to claim desertion as a reason for divorce:

  • Your spouse should have deserted or abandoned you for two years.
  • This two year period must be continuous.

For example, Karan left his wife, Vijji, in January 2016, but changed his mind and came back to be with his wife in July 2017. Vijji cannot go to Court to file for a divorce for this reason as the two year period was not continuous.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.3 / 5. Vote count: 3

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Divorce by Mutual Consent under Hindu Marriage Law

If neither you nor your spouse want to continue the marriage, you have the option to apply for a divorce by mutual consent.

One Spouse wants a divorce under Hindu Marriage Law

Sometimes in a marriage you may want a divorce due to certain circumstances. You can file for divorce only after one year of marriage.

Conversion of religion from Hinduism

You can file for divorce if your spouse has undergone conversion to another religion and has ceased to be a Hindu.

Temporary Separation in Hindu Marriages

Apart from divorce, you and your spouse can even opt for a decree of judicial separation to better understand if you want a divorce.

Proof of Divorce under Hindu Marriage Law

The proof that your divorce has happened is the Court’s final order known as ‘decree of divorce’. This is in the form of an order.

Reconciliation during divorce proceedings under Hindu Marriage Law

In all family law cases, Courts encourage an attempt for reconciliation between the spouses. There are three kinds of reconciliation methods.