Temporary Separation in Hindu Marriages

Last updated on Jun 1, 2022

Apart from divorce, which has a certain finality to it, you and your spouse can even opt for a decree of judicial separation to better understand if you want a divorce.

Through this measure, the Court orders that you have been officially separated temporarily.

Judicial Separation does not have the same legal effect as divorce. This is because your marriage continues to exist. You cannot remarry legally during judicial separation.

You can apply for a decree of judicial separation for the same reasons as that of divorce. But it will not have the same effect as it does for a divorce. You will continue to be a married couple that lives separately.

After the order for judicial separation has been passed, you and your spouse can exercise one of the two following options:

Option I: Cancelling the Order of Judicial Separation You can approach the Court to cancel this order. You are able to reconcile with your spouse and get back together and live as a married couple after cancelling this order.

Option II: Get a Divorce After one year of receiving the order for judicial separation, if you and your spouse believe that there is no possibility of reconciliation you can file for divorce.

During this period you are entitled to alimony from your spouse. Please read this for more information. Further, the Courts will decide on the question of custody of children.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Divorce by Mutual Consent under Hindu Marriage Law

If neither you nor your spouse want to continue the marriage, you have the option to apply for a divorce by mutual consent.

One Spouse wants a divorce under Hindu Marriage Law

Sometimes in a marriage you may want a divorce due to certain circumstances. You can file for divorce only after one year of marriage.

Conversion of religion from Hinduism

You can file for divorce if your spouse has undergone conversion to another religion and has ceased to be a Hindu.

Proof of Divorce under Hindu Marriage Law

The proof that your divorce has happened is the Court’s final order known as ‘decree of divorce’. This is in the form of an order.

Reconciliation during divorce proceedings under Hindu Marriage Law

In all family law cases, Courts encourage an attempt for reconciliation between the spouses. There are three kinds of reconciliation methods.

Maintenance or Alimony in Hindu Marriages

You can get a specific amount of money based on a Court order from your spouse. This amount is called maintenance or alimony.