Being Watched by a Man2
If a man or multiple men try to watch you while you are doing any private act which you would do only if you thought you were either completely alone or with a particular person with your consent, then it is a crime under the law. Some examples of a man watching you, are in cases where3
- You are using the toilet and someone is peeping in and watching you from the window.
- A man is standing outside your window and watching you while you are having sex with your partner.
- A man has illegally installed a camera in your bedroom or hacked your webcam and is watching you when you are in the privacy of your room.
Capturing Your Private Images
If a man watches you and then tries to capture any of your private activities by taking pictures, video or audio recordings then it is a crime. 3 Even if you give consent and share the image with someone, but that person shares it with many other people, then it is a crime. 40
- Article 21, Constitution of India, 1950; Justice K.S. Puttaswamy and Ors. vs. Union of India (UOI) and Ors. (2017) 10 SCC 1
- Voyeurism, Section 354C, Indian Penal Code, 1860
- Section 354C, Indian Penal Code, 1860
- Explanation II, Section 354C, Indian Penal Code, 1860