You must take certain precautions while renting a house. While trying to enter into an agreement to rent a house/flat, often the legal procedures for rent are not followed properly.
However, since it is a contract and involves an exchange of property and money it is important to understand the following while going through the processes of renting:
Your relationship with your landlord/licensor/tenant/licensee is a contractual relationship. This means that your legal relationship is based on negotiation and establishing clear terms.
- If you have a rent/lease agreement then there are some protections available to you.
- These are not there for a leave and license agreement.
The principle of negotiation and establishing clear terms applies to both types of agreements, irrespective of these protections that are available.
You should ensure that you keep proof of what has been agreed upon or of any payments that have made.
This can be done by:
- Having a written copy of an agreement
- Having in writing anything discussed verbally either on paper/Whatsapp/Email/Messages (if possible) and
- Keeping receipts for any payments (if possible)
This ensures that if any person disputes any payment or agreed terms you can show proof the payment of agreed terms.0