Adoption under Non-Religious Law
Under the non-religious law on adoption,1 the following children can be adopted:
- If the children given below are declared legally free for adoption by the Child Welfare Committee:
- Any orphan who is a child without biological parents, adoptive parents or a legal guardian2
- Abandoned child who is a child deserted by their biological parents
- Surrendered child who is a child who has been given up by the parents to the adoption authorities
- Child of a relative.3
- Child of a spouse who is surrendered by the biological parent, to be adopted by the step-parent.
Adoption under Hindu Law
- They are not married
- They are below 15 years of age
- They are Hindu
- They are not already adopted
- Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015.
- Section 1(4), Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015.
- Section 56(2), Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015.
- Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act, 1956.