Hurting or Injuring LGBTQ+ Persons 

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

If you are subjected to any violence, where you are injured or hurt, you have a right to complain and file an FIR with the police regardless of your gender or your sexual orientation. You can complain against anyone, irrespective of their gender. You can go to the police station to use these gender-neutral laws:

Hurting Your Body

Injuring You

If someone injures you or they know that their actions would injure you then it is a crime under the law.

You will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 321/350 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

Specific Injuries

If someone intentionally hurts you and it results in injuries which are given below, it is a crime under the law. Some of these specific injuries are:

  • Emasculation.
  • Depriving you permanently of your eyesight or hearing of either ear.
  • Any damage to your joints or your body structure.
  • Permanent dis-figuration of your head or face.
  • Any fractures or dislocations of your bones or your teeth.
  • Any action that results in endangering your life or causes severe bodily pain whereby you are unable to function.
  • Using acid to hurt you and which results in the injuries given above (You will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 326B of the Indian Penal Code, 1860)

If you face any of the specific injuries given above, you will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 320/322 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

Using Dangerous Weapons

It is a crime to use dangerous weapons on you or use common objects or animals which can be used in a dangerous manner such as:

Dangerous Weapons

  • Objects to stab or cut you like knives, scissors etc.
  • Objects to shoot you like guns etc.
  • Using any explosive substances like firecrackers etc.
  • Objects which release fire or any heated object or substance like a torch blower etc.
  • Any poison, corrosive substance or material which is dangerous to in

Common Objects that can Become Weapons

  • Any home based product such as phenyl which you are forced to consume.
  • An object like a cigarette lighter that is used to hurt you.
  • Using an animal to hurt you, like making dogs attack you etc.

If you have been hurt or injured or such objects have resulted in death, you will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 324/326 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

Threatening to Hurt You

It is a crime to threaten you by making any gestures or making preparations to hurt you. You will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 350/351 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

For example, if someone waves a knife at you and threatens to hurt you, then they are making gestures at you which might injure you or cause you fear.

For example, if someone waits for you to leave your office so that they can hit you with sticks, then they are making preparations to hurt you.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Love and Relationships for LGBTQ+

Anyone above the age of 18, has the right to love and have consensual sexual relationships with anyone that they wish to irrespective of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Crimes and Violence

Guide on the Rights of Transgender Persons in India

This Guide discusses the general provisions in the Constitution of India, the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 and the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
citizen rights icon

Are Live In Relationships covered under Domestic Violence law?

You are in a live-in-relationship if you cohabit, i.e.  share a house with your partner without marrying him or her. It is considered a domestic relationship between an unmarried adult woman and an unmarried adult male who live or, at any point of time lived together in a shared household.
Crimes and Violence

What are the rights of LGBTQ+ persons with respect to mental health?

Being an LGBTQ+ person does not make someone mentally ill. However, in India, an LGBTQ+ have some rights with respect to mental health.

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What are the options if there is discrimination and harassment by medical personnel against LGBTQ+ persons?

LGBTQ+ persons may face harassment or discrimination by medical personnel and a person can take appropriate action in such cases.