- During your maternity leave, your employer cannot change your condition of work to your disadvantage. For example, your employer cannot demote you at work just because you took maternity leave.
- If you are fired or dismissed during your pregnancy, you are eligible to receive maternity benefit or medical bonus.
- Your employer cannot cut your salary based on the fact that you requested and did non-strenuous work during your pregnancy. Even for reasons such as taking nursing breaks, your employer cannot cut your salary. 2
You can only be dismissed or dis-entitled to your maternity benefit in cases of gross misconduct. 3 Gross misconduct means deliberately destroying an employers’ property, assaulting other employees, fraud concerning the employers’ work, etc. 4
- Section 12(1), The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961.
- Section 13(b), The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961.
- Proviso, Section 12(2)(a), The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961.
- Section 8.The Maternity Benefit (Mines and Circus) Rules, 1963