Complaining/Reporting Problems by LGBTQ+ Persons

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

You can file a complaint with any of these authorities/forums:


Go to Police Station

You can file an FIR at any police station or the one nearest to you. A friend or relative can also file an FIR on your behalf. If you are a woman or a trans woman, your statement will be recorded by a female police officer.

Call 100

You can call on 100 to seek immediate help from the police. After describing your location, a police unit will be sent to you for further assistance.

National and State Commissions in India

These are forums you can approach if you face any difficulties or resistance from the police if they refuse to file your FIR:

National/State Human Rights Commission

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)(( Core Group on LGBTQ+ Issues: is a national level government body which specifically looks into human rights violations, such as illegal detention, harassment in jail, etc. As a LGBTQ+ person, you can also approach them if you require help, if the police are not being cooperative.

Since the NHRC is located in New Delhi, you can also approach the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) in your state to get immediate help. You can complain to the NHRC or SHRC regardless of your gender or sexual orientation.

You can contact NHRC here and complain if you have faced any harassment or discrimination.

National/State Commission for Women

The National Commission for Women (NCW) is a national level government organization that works in the protection of women from violence such as sexual crimes, domestic violence, etc. The NCW will help you by:

  • Providing you and your harasser counseling or an opportunity to be heard so that the dispute is resolved and the incident is not repeated again.
  • Instituting an inquiry committee in serious cases which would make spot inquiries, examine the witnesses, collect evidence and submit a report to give you immediate relief and protection.

You can get in touch with them only if you are a woman or a trans woman by either calling the helpline number 1091, or sending an email to or filing an online complaint.

You can also approach the Women’s Commission in your state to get immediate help.

Online Crime Reporting

You can complain with the Cyber Cell or the police in your state against online crimes. Read here to understand in detail the options that you have to report and complain against online harassment and violence.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 1.8 / 5. Vote count: 4

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Please share your feedback about this post!

Sharing feedback will help us improve our content. Tell us how!

If you want to keep your feedback confidential, please mention it in your feedback. If you have a question, please ask us in the comments or Ask Nyaaya sections.


Durgesh Rajak

June 4, 2023

Hi, me Durgesh Rajak hu Mumbai se me mere gay boyfriend se pareshan ho Gaya hu woh mujhpe shak karta he , marta he mera baar baar phone check karta he. Meri sirf ek galti he ki mene mere relationship ko ghar pe nahi bataya he. Aur woh mujhe baar baar force kar raha he. Mene relationship me aane ke pahle hi bol Diya tha ki jaldi se Ghar pe bataane wala nahi hu.par woh mujhe baar baar force kar raha woh relationship me thik se reh raha he aur na hi relationship ko relationship ke jaise chala raha he. Phone pe gandi gandi gaali deta he aur marta he. Me uske haath se 5 baar bohot buri tarah se maar kha Chuka hu. Ab me yeh zyada din Tak nahi sehen kar Sakta. Me mentally bohot zyada disturbe hu .mujhe lagta hai ki me suicide kar lu. Kyuki me ab is relationship ko nahi chala sakta.

Alka Manral

July 8, 2024

आपकी स्थिति बहुत ही संवेदनशील और गंभीर है। सबसे पहले, कृपया जान लें कि आपकी सुरक्षा और मानसिक स्वास्थ्य सबसे महत्वपूर्ण हैं। किसी भी प्रकार के शारीरिक या मानसिक हिंसा को सहन करना आपके लिए बिल्कुल सही नहीं है।अपनी मानसिक शांति के लिए थोड़ा समय निकालें और अपने आसपास के सपोर्ट सिस्टम पर भरोसा करें। अपने करीबी दोस्तों या परिवार से बात करें और उनकी सहायता प्राप्त करें।अगर यह संबंध आपके लिए हानिकारक हो रहा है, तो इससे बाहर निकलने का विकल्प भी सोचें। कोई भी संबंध आपको मानसिक या शारीरिक पीड़ा देने का हकदार नहीं है।
यदि आपको किसी भी प्रकार का खतरा महसूस होता है, तो तुरंत अपने किसी करीबी मित्र, परिवार के सदस्य, या पुलिस से संपर्क करें। आपके पास हर अधिकार है कि आप सुरक्षित रहें और खुद को बचाएं।

Durgesh Rajak

June 4, 2023

Mujhe koi police complaint nahi karwana he has me chahta hu koi LGBT community se usse baat karke yeh sab thik kar de. Please station me complaint na kare aur mere gharwalo ko bhi is problem ke baare me na bataye. Me usse pyaar karta hu par uske is behaviour ke saath me nahi rehna chahta.


December 4, 2023

I want to life with my partner I am lesbian in partner home all are know about them pls help


December 4, 2023


Jayanth K

January 4, 2024

some lgbt people’s are trying to make me feel fear and they are trying to hypnotise by surrounding themself around me and making me feel fear i need help please

Alka Manral

May 30, 2024

It’s important to address any concerns you have about feeling fearful or uncomfortable. However, it’s also crucial to recognize that being a part of the LGBTQ+ community doesn’t inherently make someone a threat.

Yet, in case your are being put under fear in return of a valuable security, person or getting something signed, you may file a complaint for extortion under Section 383 of the Indian Penal Code. You may also file a complaint for criminal intimidation under section 506 of the IPC.

Kadem swapna

March 5, 2024

My complaint is illegal affair with transgender her name is misthi my husband name is k mahesh she is kept the affair with my husband I have a small child 4years she trapped my husband giving money I as returns the money to her50k and now she is trying to kill me and my child sir I as complaint in police station and womans ps also but no use sir this problem is facing from 6months plzzzz sir I want my husband back plzzz now ge is in kalkatta wigh her

Alka Manral

May 21, 2024

On the outset, you can do nothing about your husband’s affair, except filing for divorce on the grounds of adultery. You can get maintenance after the divorce as well, to maintain yourself and your child. However, if the person in question is attempting to kill you or your child, you can file an FIR at the police station under Section 307 of IPC for attempt to murder. But, for this, you will have to show that she did an act with the intention or knowledge that it would kill you, and the act would, in the usual course of events, have led to your death. Further, if you think she is forcing your husband to give her money, you can file an FIR at the police station under Section 384 for extortion. But, for this, you will have to prove that she put your husband in fear of any harm to himself or anyone else he knows. Since you said that the police is of no help, you can contact the police commissioner. If the police is refusing to register your FIR, you can submit a written application to the Superintendent of Police or you can reach out to any superior police officer like the DIG or IGP. You can also take help of the National commission for women, they help women deal with police for complaints such as these. You can also call the national helpline for women- 1090 or your state’s helpline number related to the same, which can be found at

Laxmipati sarees

March 19, 2024

Transgender are very shamelessly strip there clothes in front any one old kid women men and I suffer such situations now because some transgender came my shop to get money not even 20,40,50,100 they want 500 at we see situations of market now buisness are very down but they didn’t listen it cause problems and then they started abusing launguage it’s very disproportionate that in front of any child or in public they came and start abusing please stop them I want help from muzaffarpur police iam from aghoriya bhar chock , harishabha chock

Alka Manral

May 21, 2024

You can file a case under the following sections:

1) S.294 of IPC: Stripping off clothes can be termed an obscene act and under this section such acts are punishable with a fine, imprisonment up to 3 months, or both.

2) S.509 of IPC: If you are a woman then this section might also be applicable as it incudes gestures made to insult the modesty of a woman and punishes such gestures with imprisonment up to 3 years and a fine.

3) S.383 of IPC: If the verbal abuse makes you feel fear of injury and is performed to get money from you then it might come under this section as an act of extortion which is punishable with a fine, imprisonment up to 3 years, or both 4) S.503 IPC: If they also threaten you with injury to your reputation, or to your body or to your property, then you can also file a case under section 503 IPC which defines criminal intimidation. On conviction, the convict may be punished with a fine or a prison term of up to 2 years, or both.

Rajdeep Roy

May 8, 2024

Respected sir/ma’am
I am Rajdeep Roy, C/O Partha Sarathi Roy, live in 165/353 Rajib Gandhi Road konnagar Hooghly a citizen of India. In 3/05/2024 during my family domestic violence I called 112 for my safety because I am suffering from Mental disorder so I was become senseless when someone attack me physically or verbally that’s why I call 112 and they support me and send police officer of Konnagar police station. Before just came the police one of my neighbour who’s name is Rajiv Bose he physical hit be as because I did video of that matter. Rajib Bose is the small leader of TMC party that’s why the police who came from konnagar fari they did not take my Gd and misbehave with me. In night I was totally traumatized and get hospitalized in serampore walls Hospital. I called 112 for ambulance support and they helped me but konnagar Police fari did not. My grandmother and her little daughter and daughter in law made a false GD and they don’t have any proof. But me and my mom has suffering from Mental health disorder dur to domestic violence from 2020. My grandmother showing tragedy and sympathize all neighbours because she is a old women but no proof she had. I have low economy condition that’s why I can not hire any advocate for this please help me in this situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Love and Relationships for LGBTQ+

Anyone above the age of 18, has the right to love and have consensual sexual relationships with anyone that they wish to irrespective of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Crimes and Violence

Guide on the Rights of Transgender Persons in India

This Guide discusses the general provisions in the Constitution of India, the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 and the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
citizen rights icon

Are Live In Relationships covered under Domestic Violence law?

You are in a live-in-relationship if you cohabit, i.e.  share a house with your partner without marrying him or her. It is considered a domestic relationship between an unmarried adult woman and an unmarried adult male who live or, at any point of time lived together in a shared household.
Crimes and Violence

What are the rights of LGBTQ+ persons with respect to mental health?

Being an LGBTQ+ person does not make someone mentally ill. However, in India, an LGBTQ+ have some rights with respect to mental health.

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What are the options if there is discrimination and harassment by medical personnel against LGBTQ+ persons?

LGBTQ+ persons may face harassment or discrimination by medical personnel and a person can take appropriate action in such cases.