Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on physical violence, sexual violence, abuse, slurs which some readers may find disturbing.
How can the guide help you?
The Nyaaya Guide on Medico Legal Examination for Sexual Assault helps survivors by providing a summary of the process along with some things to be kept in mind if a person is sexually assaulted. The guide helps in understanding the procedure of the forensic medical exams that survivors go through to preserve possible evidence, including DNA, and to get important medical attention. It gives an overview of the survivor’s rights and dispels various myths. While dealing with sexual assault, health workers play a dual role – one, providing medical treatment and psychological support and two, collecting evidence and ensuring good quality documentation of evidence. In 2014, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare put out guidelines and protocols for medico-legal care for survivors of sexual violence.
What are the laws being discussed in the guide?
The guide discusses the legal aspects of the medico legal guidelines by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in 2014. The guidelines are based on various requirements outlined in the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 2013, the Indian Penal Code,1860 the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO), 2012 and the Code of Criminal Procedure,1973.
Women’s Helpline – 1091
Women’s helpline gives 24/7 immediate and emergency response to women affected by the violence, both in private and public spaces. They give assistance to file complaints. They can guide the survivor towards a hospital for a medical examination etc.
Police – 100
Police will arrive in case of an emergency.
Source of Information
- Towards victim friendly responses and procedures – Partners for Law and Development, Department of Justice (Ministry of Law and Justice) and United Nations Development Program accessed at <https://doj.gov.in/sites/default/files/PLD%20report.pdf>
- National Commission of Women – Rape accessed at <http://ncw.nic.in/sites/default/files/Chapter02.pdf>
- Guidelines and Protocols, Medico-Legal Care for survivors/victims of Sexual Violence, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (2014) accessed at <http://www.mati.gov.in/docs/GG%20cell%20materials/womens%20rights/Guidelines%20and%20Protocols_MOHFW%20(1).pdf>
- The Criminal Law Amendment Act, 2013
- Section 357C of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973
- Section 166B of the Indian Penal Code, 1860
- Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO), 2012