The use of any official vehicles for campaigning or election-related travel from the date of announcement of elections till the completion of elections is not allowed.
But, if a political leader is under threat of extremist and terrorist activities and requires security, he can request the Election Commission for the use of an official vehicle.
What are Official Vehicles
Official vehicles are those vehicles that belong to the following:
- Central/State government,
- Public Undertakings/Joint Sector Undertakings of central and state governments,
- Local bodies, Panchayats, Municipal Corporations, Cooperative Societies, Marketing boards,
- Autonomous district councils in which public funds are invested,
- Ministry of Defence and other Ministers.
The different kinds of official vehicles are helicopters, aircraft, cars, jeeps, automobiles, boats, hovercrafts, trucks, lorries, tempos, cycle-rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, buses, etc.0