The National Council for Teacher Education prescribes the qualifications for teachers in India. One of the essential qualifications for a person to be eligible for appointment as a teacher in any of the schools is that he/she should pass the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) which will be conducted by the appropriate Government. Other than this, there are different qualifications required for teaching different classes. 1
Teachers of Class 1-5
- Senior Secondary with at least 50% marks and a 2 year diploma in elementary education or
- 4 year Bachelor in Elementary Education or a 2 year diploma in Education (special education).
Teachers of Class 6-8:
- B.A/ B.Sc degree and a 2-year diploma in elementary education. Or, B.A/ B.Sc degree with at least 50% marks and a 1-year bachelor in education or a 1 year B.Ed (special education)
- Or, a senior secondary with at least 50% marks and 4 year Bachelor in Elementary Education or 4-year B.A/B.Sc.Ed
- Govt of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development, F.No. 61-03/20/2010/NCTE/(N&S) (23rd August, 2010) available at http://righttoeducation.in/sites/default/files/Notification%20of%20NCTE%20for%20the%20minimum%20qualification%20for%20a%20person%20to%20be%20eligible%20for%20appointment%20as%20a%20School%20teacher.pdf