This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Workplaces with more than 10 employees are required to set up a committee that specifically handles cases of Sexual Harassment. This is known as the Internal Committee. It must have1.
The Internal Committee has to follow the regulations for taking complaints and making inquiries in a reasonable amount of time. The company or institution has to give the Internal Complaints Committee the things they need to make inquiries.0
- Section 4(2), Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.)):
- A presiding officer, who is a woman employed at a senior level
- Three students, if the matter involves students
- One member from a non-government organisation or association committed to the cause of women, or a person familiar with sexual harassment issues. This member will be paid.
- Women as at least half of its members
- No person in senior administrative positions as a member such as Vice-chancellor, Registrar, Dean, or head of department
- A three-year term for members. Higher education institutions may also employ a system where one-third of the members change every year.
If the presiding officer acts in violation of their powers, they will be removed and a new nomination will take place((Section 4(5), Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.