This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Under the law, an employer has to take certain steps to create a safe work environment for women.
Women in the workplace should feel safe from sexual harassment from co-workers as well as others who might just be visiting the workplace. It’s important for employers to display the sexual harassment policy of the company where it can be seen. They also must display the order that sets up the Internal Complaints Committee so employees, as well as visitors to the workplace, can see it.
- Create and put forward a detailed sexual harassment policy
- Make sure employees are aware of the issue of sexual harassment
- Set up committees in the workplace that women workers can turn to if they have been sexually harassed
- Make sure committees are well-trained and well-staffed
- Prepare a yearly report and turn it over to the state government
- The District Officer will also appoint a Nodal Officer who can receive complaints at a local level2.
- Section 13, Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Rules, 2013.
- Section 6(2), Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.