This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
The process for obtaining a new Aadhaar Card requires going in person to an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre, and cannot be done online.
The cost-free Aadhaar enrolment process is as follows:
Step 1: You can visit any authorized Aadhaar Enrolment Centre anywhere in India. This is an agency appointed for collecting demographic and biometric information of individuals,1 and includes certain Banks and Post Offices which have been designated as Aadhaar Enrolment Centres. Locate the Enrolment Centre nearest to you here. Book an Appointment here.
- Date of birth
- Other relevant information as may be specified in the form2
Step 3: While filling the Form in Step 2, you are also required to submit the originals of one valid Proof of Identity (PoI) document and one valid Proof of Address (PoA) document. View the list of acceptable documents here.
Step 4: After you fill the form, your biometric data shall also be taken as part of the enrolment. It includes your:3
- Iris scan
Step 4: At the end of the process, you will get an acknowledgement slip with an Enrolment Number and other details you have given during enrolment.
Step 6: Your Aadhaar will be ready in 60-90 days. Once the Aadhaar is ready, you receive an SMS on the registered mobile number. After Aadhaar is ready, your Aadhaar Card with your Aadhaar number and other details are enclosed in a physical letter which will be delivered to you.
You can also download an electronic version of your Aadhaar with your Aadhaar number or Enrolment ID here. Downloaded Aadhaar (e-Aadhaar) is a valid and secure password-protected electronic document which is treated at par with the original Aadhaar letter. 4
If you require any additional help and support, please see here.
Check this Government resource to learn more about how to get Aadhar.1
- Section 2(l), Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016
- Section 2(k), Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016
- Section 2(g), Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016
- Ministry of Electronics & IT, Unique Identification Authority of India, Validity of e-Aadhaar as Proof of Identity, https://uidai.gov.in/images/uidai_om_on_e_aadhaar_validity.pdf