You can complain to multiple forums regarding the misconduct of clinical psychologists. The violation of any of the general duties of a psychologist shall be grounds for the Council to take action against the professional.1 Some of them include:
Rehabilitation Council of India
The Rehabilitation Council of India is the appropriate forum that oversees the work of a clinical psychologist. One can lodge a complaint against a professional on a ground of ‘Professional Misconduct’. The Council can order the removal of a psychologists name from the register of Rehabilitation Professionals, if found guilty. The Council can also declare the professional to be ineligible for registration. This may either be permanently or for a prescribed number of years.2
State Commissioner of Disability/ Chief Commissioners of Disabilities
If you are a person with a disability who was treated by a clinical psychologist, you have the option to complain to the State Commissioner of Disability or Chief Commissioner of Disabilities, Government of India. You can find the list of state commissioners here.
Mental Health Review Board/State Mental Health Boards
You can approach three main authorities if you have been treated by a clinical psychologist for mental health issues:
- Central Mental Health Authority – It is the central authority under the law, which has functions including registering all mental health establishments under the Central Government, maintaining a register of all mental health establishments in the country, developing quality/service norms for mental health establishments under the Central Government, supervising all mental health establishments under the Central Government, receiving complaints about deficiencies in provision of services, etc.
- State Mental Health Authority – It is the authority at the state level which has functions including registration of mental health establishments in the State, developing quality/service norms for mental health establishments in the State, supervising all mental health establishments in the State , receiving complaints about deficiencies in provision of services, etc.
- Mental Health Review Board – It is the authority at the district level under the law, which has functions to register, review, alter, modify or cancel an advance directive, to appoint a nominated representative, to adjudicate complaints regarding deficiencies in care, etc.
As of now, the authorities, particularly the Central Mental Health Authority and the Mental Health Review Boards are functioning. However, some states, such as Delhi, Kerala, etc. have constituted the State Mental Health Authority. You should seek information about the functioning of these authorities from your respective state.0
- Regulation 15, The Rehabilitation Council of India (Standards of Professional Conduct, Etiquette, and Code of Ethics for Rehabilitation Professionals) Regulations, 1998
- Section 21, The Rehabilitation Council of India Act, 1992