This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
While recording a child’s statement on the abuse the following should be done1:
- Statement should preferably be recorded by a woman police officer not in uniform.
- It should be recorded at the child’s home or any place he/she feels comfortable.
- It should be recorded in the language of the child, as spoken by the child.
- It should be recorded in the presence of a trusted adult and/or an expert, interpreter, translator or social worker.
- Medical examination should be done within 24 hours in the present of the parents or trusted adult.
- Frequent breaks should be taken while the child is narrating the incident. The Child shouldn’t be rushed while recording the statement.
- Audio or Video recording devices should be used, if available.
- The Police officer should read out aloud the recorded statement to the child.
- The Child/Parent should get a copy of the statement.
- Section 24, The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012