You should immediately complain to the police as this is a crime known as ‘criminal breach of trust’. If someone that you trust with your property, which may include your money, bank accounts etc. dishonestly1:
- Misappropriates it or uses it as his own property, like your chartered accountant accessing money through your account without letting you know.
- Disposes or uses that property knowing that he or she is breaking the law or a contract, like your chartered accountant transferring money away from your account and forging your account books to make it seem like it was your expenditure.
- Makes any other person use or dispose of this property knowing that is it illegal, like your chartered accountant asking his employees to steal money from their clients etc.
Is committing an illegal act. A person committing this crime may be punished with jail time up to 3 years or a fine or both2.
- Section 405, Indian Penal Code, 1860.
- Section 406, Indian Penal Code, 1860.