A wife may also present a petition for the dissolution of her marriage by a decree of divorce for the following reasons. These are exclusive reasons available to a wife:
1. In case the marriage was solemnized before 1955, if:
- the husband had married again or
- ex-wife was still alive at the time the marriage was solemnized.
In both cases if the other wife is alive at the time of filing the divorce petition, courts may grant the woman a divorce.
3. If a maintenance order has been passed under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure or Section 18 of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956, against the husband, and both the husband and wife have been living apart for more than one year, then the Court may grant a divorce.
4. The wife entered the marriage before she turned 15 years old or she repudiated (rejected) the marriage before turning 18 years old.
Read more here.
Please login or Register to submit your answer