The Ministry of Home Affairs passed guidelines on 17.05.2020 extending the lockdown till the 31st of May, 2020. In it, the Government has taken away the mandatory requirement of installing the ‘Aarogya Setu App’. The installation of this App is now no longer a part of the ‘National Directives’ for the management of Covid-19 as was the case earlier.
The guidelines have focused on the advantage of ‘Aarogya Setu’ app saying that it is a powerful tool built by Government of India to facilitate quick identification of persons infected by COVID-19, or at risk of being infected, thus acting as a shield for individuals and the community.
- Employers on best effort basis have to ensure that the application is installed by all employees having compatible mobile phones.
- District authorities have to advise individuals to install the ‘Aarogya Setu’ application on compatible mobile phones and regularly update their health status on the app. This will facilitate timely provision of medical attention to those individuals who are at risk.
- The use of ‘Arogya Setu’ app shall be mandatory for all employees, both private & public.
- It was the responsibility of the Head of the respective organisation to ensure 100% coverage of this app among employees.
- Contact-tracing app Aarogya Setu must be installed by all individuals residing within containment zones.
Currently, the law is clear. The Aarogya Setu application is not mandatory.