One question when govt can go to the extent of linking adhar to bank details and has a hold on the public data, why there is less transparency on the usage of the investments say why can\’t they launch a site with transparent details to public, can\’t law hold or ask them to do?Even if they reveal how one can review it that it is a genuine data, have come across such transparency or law in other countries especially corruption free countries if so why in a country which ranks 81, we don\’t follow?
We understand your question to mean, ‘How can we increase transparency in the usage of taxes and funds which are given to/collected by the government?’ Based on this understanding, we can tell you that under the Right to Information (RTI) Act, 2005 all Indian citizens can access information which is under the control of public authorities. The Act aims to promote transparency and accountability in the working of every public authority, including tax authorities like the Income Tax Department.
The Income Tax Department has a legal duty1 to publish information about:
- Functions and duties of the Department
- Powers and duties of income tax officers and employees
- Different kinds of documents that are under the control of the Department
- Government budget granted to the Department, and the monthly salary of income tax officers and employees
- Details about the information held by the Department
If you want to get any specific tax related information, you can approach an RTI officer with the relevant details of the information that you need.
To know more about how to file an RTI application, read here.
- Section 4, Right to Information Act, 2005.
Please login or Register to submit your answer