This post is also available in: ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
You have to be above a certain age to drive motor vehicles in a public place. Given below are the age limits stipulated by the law:
- To drive any motor vehicle (except a motorcycle with an engine capacity of less than 50 cc): 18 years 1
- To drive a motorcycle with an engine capacity of less than 50 cc: 16 years 1
- To drive a transport vehicle (for example, a truck): 20 years
If you are under the age required to drive a particular type of motor vehicle, but you drive it anyway, then you can be punished with a fine of Rs. 5,000 or with jail time of up to 3 months, or both2. The applicable fine amount might vary across states.
Given below are the fine amounts for two states:
|State||Type of Vehicle||Fine Amount (In INR)|
|Light Motor Vehicle||2,000|
- Section 4(1), The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
- Section 181, The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.