You can file the Income Tax Return Form with the Income Tax Department in any of the following ways1:
- Submitting the return in a paper form (offline) to the income tax office
- Submitting the return electronically under digital signature
- Electronically transmitting the ITR data under electronic verification code
- Electronically transmitting the ITR data, and later submitting the verification of the return
Procedure to file
Income tax returns can be filed manually as well as electronically i.e., e-filing.
Option 1: Manual Filing
For filing returns manually, you need to go to the Income Tax Department’s office to physically file returns. You can locate your nearest tax office here. Ensure that you fill the form completely and provide all the necessary details correctly. ITR forms are attachment less forms and, hence, you are not required to attach any document (like proof of investment, TDS certificates, etc. along with the return of income. However, these documents should be kept safely and should be produced before the tax authorities when demanded in situations like assessment, inquiry, etc.
Option 2: Filing Electronically
Electronically filing your tax returns through the Internet or online is an easier process than physically filing returns because you do not need to take an actual print out of the documents. Also, it is a simpler process and can be done for free online through the income tax website.
In the offline mode, you download the ITR form from the income tax website, fill it offline and then submit it on the website. In the online mode (applicable only for ITR forms 1 and 4), you fill in the form directly online.0
- What are the different modes of filing income?, FAQs on filing the return of income, https://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/faqs.aspx?k=FAQs%20on%20filing%20the%20return%20of%20income