Follow these steps to encash a cheque.
Analyse the type of cheque that has been issued to you.
If it is a bearer cheque, then there will be no name written on the cheque. You can:
- Go to any branch (in the city) of the bank that the cheque belongs to
- Present it for clearance
- The bank teller, will verify the details on the cheque and clear it
- The cheque will be cleared then and there and you will get the cash
If it is an order cheque it will have your name written on it. You can:
- Go to any branch in the city of the bank that the cheque belongs to and
- Present it for clearance
- The bank teller, will verify the details on the cheque and clear it -The cheque will be cleared then and there and you will get the cash
Account Payee Cheque
If it’s an account payee cheque, then write your name, your account number and contact number at the back of the cheque, fill the deposit slip and exercise any of the following two options.
Bank/ATM Dropbox Deposit
You can either go to an ATM of your bank or directly go to any branch of your bank where you have an account.
If the ATM of your bank has cheque deposit slips and a drop box, the most convenient option is to do the following:
- Fill in the cheque deposit slip. A deposit slip has two parts; the smaller part that you fill and keep with yourself and the bigger part that you fill and deposit in the drop box, along with your cheque.
- Tear your portion of the slip and keep it with yourself
- Pin the cheque and other part of the deposit slip
- Drop in into the ATM dropbox.
However, with this dropbox option, you will not receive an acknowledgement from the Bank of the receipt of your cheque and deposit slip. This means that if the cheque is lost by any chance, you will not be able to find out about the status of the cheque from the bank. However, you can still stop your cheque through internet banking or by writing a letter to the Bank.
If the ATM of your bank branch does not have the dropbox facility, then you have to go to the bank and drop the cheque. The detailed procedure is given below.
Some ATM’s have the option to deposit the cheque in the ATM machine itself. Please follow the procedure set out in the machine and deposit it accordingly.
- Fill a cheque deposit slip
- Get the appropriate cheque deposit slip form amongst the various slips that are usually kept at the dropbox area of the branch. Make sure you have the proper slip.
- Carefully fill in your bank account number, branch name, cheque amount etc. – Sign at the appropriate place. Also fill in details of the cheque, such as cheque number, bank from which the cheque is drawn, amount, date on which such cheque was drawn etc. Make sure that you fill in these details in the relevant places.
- Tear your portion of the slip, pin both cheque and the other part of the slip and drop them in the dropbox.