This post is also available in: ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
The Consumer Forum is present at the District, State and National Levels. You can file a case there depending on 2 factors:
- The amount of money you lost:
- District Forum : Upto Rs. 20 Lakhs
- State Commission : Rs. 20 Lakhs to Rs. 1 Crores
- National Commission : Exceeding Rs. 1 Crores
- Where the loss happened :
- You can file the complaint in the place where the money was lost, or where the opposite party (that is, the bank) carries on their business.
You should approach consumer forums only when you feel that the bank has been negligent, and has not given you proper service. The forum does not prosecute the actual culprit.
Generally, cases cannot be simultaneously filed before the consumer courts as well as the Banking Ombudsman.0