To file a case for cheque bouncing, certain conditions have to be met. You can file a civil or criminal complaint under the law if the following conditions are fulfilled:
- X owes you some money and issued a cheque to pay it.
- You presented the cheque for payment within the period of its validity (3 months).
- The bank returned the cheque and informed you that the cheque amount cannot be paid to you because it was dishonoured. The bank will give you a cheque return memo along with your cheque.
- Within 15 days of the bank informing you that the cheque has been dishonoured, you or your lawyer should send a written notice to X, demanding the cheque amount.
- X did not make payment of the cheque amount within 15 days of receiving the notice.