About the Scheme
This scheme was started by the Odisha government to finance the higher education of orphaned children in the State. The ‘Green Passage’ scheme covers the costs of application, admission/re-admission, tuition, examination, hostel admission, laboratory, and college development etc. of orphaned children who want to pursue higher studies in engineering, medicine and technology.
However, due to the pandemic the government has decided to provide free education to all children who have lost their parents to the pandemic. The entire educational expenses of such children will be borne by the state government. This includes cost of schools and colleges and further students who wish to pursue professional courses such as medical, engineering or any technical education. If the child is studying at any private institution, the government will bear that cost as well. Apart from this, a pension of Rs. 2000/- will also be given to the children on a monthly basis to support themselves financially.
The beneficiaries of the scheme include orphaned children permanently residing in the State. The new addition to the present scheme will also include orphaned children, who have lost both their parents to the pandemic.
How to Apply?
- Go to https://dhe.odisha.gov.in/ website
- Click on Green Passage Scheme under the head ‘Schemes and Scholarships’
- Download the ‘Certificate to avail benefits under Green passage’
- Fill the details of the application like name, age etc. and attach the list of documents required.
- Submit the Certificate along with the Application form for admission in College/University.
- In case of difficulty in obtaining the said certificate, the applicant may submit an undertaking (in the prescribed format) and the case may be allowed subject to the production of the relevant certificate within a period of three months from the date of filing of the undertaking.
- On submission of the application along with the said certificate the fees may be exempted at the time of admission in case of Government institutions and in respect of non-Government aided institution, the Higher Education Department will reimburse the fees on being claimed by the said institutions.
The detailed guidelines regarding this scheme have not yet been released by the government. The government has recently revised the scheme and the application procedure for new candidates has not been notified.
Validity & Timeframe
The scheme started in the year 2016. As of now, no end date has been notified by the Government.
Websites & Links
Higher Education Department, Government of Odisha: https://dhe.odisha.gov.in/0