About the Scheme
In a move to provide a financial cushion to families who have lost an earning member of the family due to Covid-19, the government recently announced a few measures under the Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) Act and the EPFO’s EDLI Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance scheme. Thus, dependent family members of such persons will be entitled to the benefit of pension equivalent to 90% of average daily wage drawn by the worker as per the existing norms. The amount of maximum insurance benefit has been increased from Rs. 6 lakh to Rs. 7 lakh, and the provision of minimum insurance benefit of Rs. 2.5 lakh has been restored.
- Pension for dependents of those having lost their lives due to COVID-19.
- The benefit of the Employee State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) pension scheme for employment-related death cases is being extended to even those who have died due to COVID-19.
How to Avail the Benefits
- All dependent family members of the deceased who have been registered in the online portal of the ESIC prior to their diagnosis of Covid disease will be entitled to receive the same benefits.
- However, there are two conditions. One, the deceased would have to be registered on the ESIC online portal at least three months prior to the diagnosis of Covid disease.
- Secondly, the deceased must have been employed and contributions for at least 78 days should have been paid or payable during a period of one year immediately preceding the diagnosis of Covid.
- If these conditions are fulfilled, the insured person’s dependents will be entitled to receive monthly pension payment during their life.
- Families of the deceased (due to Covid) should ascertain whether they are applicable for the benefits under both or one of ESI and EDLI schemes, and accordingly claim the amount.
Validity and Timeframe
It will apply retrospectively from February 15, 2020 for the next three years.
Websites and Links