Government Schemes and Centres
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has been implementing a Central Sector Scheme of Assistance for Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse since 1985 for identification counselling, treatment and rehabilitation of addicts through voluntary and other eligible organisations. Under this scheme, financial assistance is given to voluntary organisations and eligible agencies for running and maintaining Integrated Rehabilitation Centres for Addicts.
A National Centre for Drug Abuse Prevention has also been set up by the National Institute of Social Defence to provide technical support to the government on policies relating to substance abuse prevention and providing services for substance demand reduction. This Centre also carries out programmes for capacity building and training personnel of de-addiction centres.
National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction
The Ministry of Social Justice and empowerment has prepared a National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction for the period of 2018-25. This plan focuses on:
- Preventive education
- Awareness generation
- Identification, counselling, treatment and rehabilitation of drug dependent persons
- Training and capacity building of service providers through collaborative efforts of government and NGOs.
It aims at reduction of adverse consequences of drug abuse through education, de-addiction and rehabilitation of affected individuals. More information on this Action Plan can be found here.
National Fund for Control of Drug Abuse
The law requires the government to set up a National Fund for Control of Drug Abuse1 for meeting the expenditure incurred in measures taken for:
- Combating illicit trafficking
- Controlling abuse of drugs and substances
- Identifying, treating and rehabilitating addicts
- Preventing drug abuse
- Educating public against drug abuse
- Supplying drugs where the same is a medical necessity
The money for this fund comes from:
- Central government (after Parliament has made appropriations for it by a law)
- Sale of any property that was forfeited or seized as illegal property.
- Grants made by persons or institutions
- Income from investment of amount credited to the Fund.
- Section 7A