Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on drugs and narcotics which some readers may find disturbing.
Diazepam is a psychotropic substance1, the manufacture, possession, transport, import, export, sale, purchase and use of which is illegal in India.
The punishment for carrying out any of these activities is proportional to the quantity of Diazepam that you are caught with.
- Small quantity (20 gm) – Jail time up to 1 year and/or fine up to Rs 10,000
- 20 gm to 500 gm – Jail time up to 10 years and fine up to Rs 1 lakh
- Commercial quantity (500 gm) – Jail time between 10 and 20 years, and fine between Rs 1 lakh and 2 lakhs. The Court may also impose a fine of more than 2 lakhs. 2
- Section 2 (xxiii), Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985; read also Schedule, Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
- Section 22, Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.