Covid-19 is a widespread epidemic which is also a declared disaster in India.
The Government has the powers to1 take measures and prescribe regulations to:
- Prevent the spread of a Dangerous Epidemic Disease.
- Inspect any ship or vessel leaving or arriving in any port.
- Detain of any person planning to leave or arrive into India.
- Restrictions to be followed by a person or group of people.
- Prevention of danger or threat of any disaster
- Mitigation or reduction of risk of any disaster or its severity or consequences
- Preparedness to deal with any disaster
- Prompt response to any threatening disaster situation or disaster
- Assessing the severity or magnitude of effects of any disaster.
The Government has imposed a lockdown by giving a set of directions to all Ministries/Departments of the Government of India, State/Union Territory Governments and State/Union Territory Authorities.0
- Section 2, the Epidemic Diseases Act.
- Section 2(3), the Disaster Management Act, 2005.