This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
You may require a Ration Card for purposes like getting ID proof, purchasing grains at subsidized prices, etc. To get a new Ration Card, please follow the steps given below. Both the online procedure and the procedure for applying physically is given.
Procedure for Applying In-Person
Follow the steps given below to get a new Ration Card1:
Step 1 – You should fill out the application form, which you can obtain from any Circle Office, or download it from your state government’s website. You can access the portals to the relevant website for all the states here.
Step 2 – You should submit the relevant documents. Though the documents required vary across states, you will commonly be required to submit the following:
- Proof of identification
- Passport-sized photographs of the female head of your family attested by a gazetted officer/MLA/MP/Municipal Councillor
- The specified proof of residence (If you cannot provide proof of residence, the office will conduct record the statements of two witnesses in your neighbourhood)
- Income certificate, if applicable
- The Surrender/Deletion Certificate of the previous Ration Card, if any
- The prescribed fee. This varies across states.
Step 3 – You should get your documents verified by the officers at the Circle Office.
Step 4 – You should collect your acknowledgement receipt from the authorities.
Step 5 – You can then collect your Ration Card from the Circle Office/get it delivered. For example, in Delhi, the Ration Card is uploaded online. The time limit varies across states. For example, in Delhi, it can take up to 2 months.
You can also apply for a Ration Card online, depending on whether your state has that facility available. You can also check the status of your Ration Card in some states here.
Once you have your Ration card, you can also download it online through your state government’s website. For example, for Delhi, you should go to the website, and fill in the relevant details, such as Ration Card number, Aadhar number, etc., and you will be able to download your Card online.
If you require any additional help and support, please see here.
Read this government resource for more information0
- IndiaGov Archive, Apply for Ration Card, https://archive.india.gov.in/howdo/howdoi.php?service=7